Publications - Journal articles on Patient Safety
These are journal articles, book chapters and reports on my work related to patient safety.
- Kirk S, Parker D, Claridge T, Esmail A et al. Patient safety culture in primary care: developing a theoretical framework for practical use. View document 184KB.
- This is a presentation to the National Patient Safety Agency which makes the case for Patient Safety in Primary Care. View document 196KB.
- This is a report written by the National Patient Safety Agency on 7 Steps to Primary Care. I was part of the editorial group. View document 108KB.
- Vincent C, Davy C, Esmail A et al. Learning From Litigation. The role of claims analysis in patient safety. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. View document
- Joyce P, Boaden R, Esmail A. Managing Risk: A taxonomy of error in health policy. Health Affairs. View document 84KB.
- Hall K, Rosser W, Makeham M, Dovey S, Esmail A, Kuzel A. What is research? An international study reveals a fundamental normative issue. J Clin Ethics (in press).
- Sandars J, Esmail A. The frequency and nature of error in primary care: understanding the diversity across studies. Fam Pract. 2003. Jun;20(3):231-6.
- Webb R, Esmail A. Lessons from the dead. An analysis of deaths in an inner city general practice. British Journal of General Practice 2002; 52: 296-299.
- Esmail A. Better co-operation and less management. In Making patients safer! Reducing error in Canadian healthcare. Healthcare Papers Vol 2. No.1. 2001
Published Reports on Patient Safety
A, Walshe K, Vincent C, Fenn P, Firth-Cozens J, Elstein M, Davy C. Learning
from Litigation: using claims data to improve patient safety. Reports
submitted to Department of Health, March 2004. MCHCM, University of Manchester.
Volume 1 992KB, Volume 2 1.1MB, Volume 3 1.4MB, Summary 76KB
J, Esmail A. Threats to patient safety in primary care. A review of the
research into the frequency and nature of error in primary care.
A report for the Department of Health (2001). Report 268KB.